The cookie settings on this website are set to 'allow all cookies' to give you the very best experience. Please click Accept Cookies to continue to use the site.

markb
Hi all,
I have re-wired and restored a couple of old industrial lamps for my own use, and now would like to do the same for re-sale.
Do i need any form of qualification or certification to be able to do this, if so any ideas what they are.
I have tried searching the web but everything seems to be either pat or part p.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
Quote 0 0
martin
Hi
As you have seen on the net its a bit of a Grey area and there are no defined rules that you can find.
At the end of the day what you make must be safe and fit for the purpose.
The way to prove that is to be competent in making them and yes have them PAT tested as a minimum.
You don't need to be an electrician but would suggest you went on a PAT testing course and buy a tester. If not have an electrician test these for you.
This is the minimum there are other things like using a test house to test one but that may be around £500

Just remember these must be wired correctly using approver parts, safe and tested.

Hope this helps.
Martin
Follow and join us on facebook
or visit
[lampspares%20logo%20copied%20from%20site_zpsvhdwbxia]
Quote 1 0
markb
Thank you Martin for your very speedy reply.
As you say it is a bit of a grey area, the little bit of information i have been able to find fits in with the information you have kindly provided.
The lamps i restore are all done using replacement parts from reputable suppliers as yourselves ( a flyer with my order led me to the forum, super idea!) then they are going to be tested by an independent PAT testing company for added peace of mind.
This should cover all the bases?
Thanks again for your help
Mark.

Quote 0 0
martin
Hi  Mark
You are welcome.
Martin
or visit
[lampspares%20logo%20copied%20from%20site_zpsvhdwbxia]
Quote 0 0
UpCycledLightCo
Hi it is right that you also need a breakdown of all parts used and picture with the lamp you are selling?
Quote 0 0
Richard
What the LIA have told us with our custom leads is to make a folder per design.

And in that folder put as much informaiton about it as possible, how to wire it, test it, package it.

And in there will have a log of lights we make and test resualts (litrually just a tick to say its passed)

But will be numbered and dated, if theres any changes to the design you will need version update numbers etc so you can trace the product back to the origional design.

Having all the seperate parts certification of confirmity.

Basiclly its if anything happens (touch wood it dont) then you have 1 folder will all your information you can hand to whoever needs it.

The more info the better it looks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Richard
or visit
lampspares logo   

Proud to be members of the Lighting Industry Association.

lia logo
Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.