degausser
Hi All,

Just purchased a new lampholder. Fancied making me a bell jar lamp!

I'm incredibly awful when it comes to anything with my hands but am hoping I can make a change and manage this. it seems straight forward enough....

Just wondering, what wattage of bulb will these holders take? 

http://www.lampspares.co.uk/e27-old-english-lampholder-with-cord-grip-7600eh/

Thanks all!

Paul
Quote 0 0
Richard
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Am i right in thinking you are trying to make this?

http://www.lampspares.co.uk/examples/bell-jar-light/

if so then the heat build up inside glass needs to be thought about.
Of the top of my head i cannot remember the max wattage that lampholder will take, i will take a look tomorrow for you.

But if it is going into the light stated above then maybe think about a filliment style low wattage. or even LED?

thanks
Follow and join us on facebook
or visit
lampspares logo   lia logo

Proud to be members of the Lighting Industry Association.

Please note that any advice is given with the best intentions but cannot be confirmed that this may be all that is required for your project. All electrical work must be carried out by a competent person and all work should be fully tested before use.

Quote 0 0
degausser
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the prompt response!

I am indeed trying to make that lamp. I hadn't thought that heat would be a problem from those old fashioned filament lamps, as they seem quite dim, but I could be wrong! The DIY resources across the web don't seem to mention it (heat) being a problem.

I had thought that the LED ones might overcome this though. Hence my asking what wattage is required!
Quote 0 0
nigepet
Hi i have made a couple of these there are some pics here on the forum the bulbs i used were like a normal bulb but inside there are lots of little leds the bulbs look realy nice and give off next to no heat http://cultfurniture_com.cdn.visualsoft.co.uk/images/products/medium/1451472805-16336600.jpg they come in various shapes and screw or bayonet fittings
Quote 0 0
degausser
Hi,

thanks for the feedback Nigepet. i did some research yesterday and came across some of those. Am very tempted!

Does anyone know what the MAX wattage is that the ES lampholder in question can take?

Can you happily put in a lower powered lamp into the holder?
Quote 0 0
Richard
Hi sorry for the late reply busy busy busy [smile] its max degrees (c) is 180 we would recommend a 60w lamp but all depends on were its being installed, as your looking to put it in a glass jar a 60w will be too much over time and wouldn't recommend it.
You can put any powered lamp in there as long as its 240v rated there are some cool looking LED lamps out there.
The ones nigepet linked look amazing when lit.

Have you thought of putting an inline dimmer so if you wanted it brighter for a bit you can crank it up? or if your planning on having it on for long periods as a display feature then drim it down.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Follow and join us on facebook
or visit
lampspares logo   lia logo

Proud to be members of the Lighting Industry Association.

Please note that any advice is given with the best intentions but cannot be confirmed that this may be all that is required for your project. All electrical work must be carried out by a competent person and all work should be fully tested before use.

Quote 0 0